Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Are Acorns Edible?

We are having one of those noisy autumns again, where the acorns fall in plentiful, loud abundance. I'm not sure it qualifies as a "mast year." (That's what scientists call it when there's an OVER abundance of the nuts.) I think it might be just average, at least around my neighborhood.

Anyway, all those nuts lying around prompted one parent on one of the local listservs to ask: can we eat them or are they poisonous?

A bit of a debate went back and forth in the replies. It was all friendly. Some said, no, they are not poisonous but they cannot be eaten. Others said, bosh, we eat them all the time in pancakes and stuff and they taste great!

Well, I noticed someone had asked the same question about these nuts last week in the New York Times Science section. Pretty interesting, although I have to admit that I've never been tempted by them myself. Somehow, it would see a lot like eating bark to me. And the Claiborne Ray's article didn't make them seem any more appealing. Too much work to make them edible. I think I'd have to be pretty hungry to try it, frankly.

Meanwhile, the almonds in my cabinet are calling out to me. Think its time for a snack...

No comments: