Sunday, March 21, 2010

Why Doesn't My Mason Bee House Work?

I have many garden success stories, but one great failure so far. I cannot seem to get the Orchard Mason Bees to live in my bee house.

I’ve tried for two years in a row without any luck. I bought the little plastic tube from one of the garden supply companies and hung it on the fence. It is filled with paper straws that are supposed to be really attractive to these fantastic little pollinators, but for two years I got nuthin’. Meanwhile, I’ve seen the mason bees in my yard, and been told by friends at the Nature Centers that they get bees no problem in the same kinds of set-ups.

I read the MD DNR website about the topic, and I think I know why the bees haven’t taken up residence with me. The home we have for them lacks an over hang or eave. I think if I build one or find one with a roof, I’ll be ready. Ideally, you should be able to tuck the whole thing under a porch awning or something. Too bad I don’t have one that will do.

I guess I can’t really call the lack of nesting bees a failure, really. My garden is home to hundreds of pollinating insects, including many species of bees. I find some nesting in many places around the house. Last year we had one tiny little one that nested in the brick wall, in a hole once occupied by a nail or screw. That little one may have even been an mason bee.

But I’d love a whole horde of them going in and out of one large home. So wish me luck. Maybe I can find a really nice house for sale. Maybe I'll get ambitious and make one.

I need to get busy on this project NOW, though, as my friend Christine reminded me this afternoon. Her bees already busy nesting in the box that she and her son built last year. I’m pretty sure that after this week the chances of getting them to successfully nest will not be so great.

No comments: